AGA Women's Scholarship Information
Alabama Golf Association Women’s Scholarship Fund
“Dedicated to Assisting Young Female Golfers in Higher Education”
History: The WAGA Scholarship Foundation Trust was established in 1993 with the objective of assisting exceptional young women in Alabama pursue four years of higher education at an accredited college within the State.
After the merger between the WAGA and AGA on March 16, 2010, the Foundation Trust became titled the Alabama Golf Association Women’s Scholarship Fund, all while maintaining the objective to grant scholarships to deserving young women from the State of Alabama who have an interest in golf and are pursuing a baccalaureate degree at an accredited college or university within the State. All donations are tax deductible under a 501(c)3 tax exempt status.
Through golf tournaments, fund raisers, and generous donations of clubs and individuals, the AGA Women’s Scholarship Fund has enabled seventeen young ladies to graduate college and is currently assisting four young ladies pursue their college degrees.
The 2017 Scholarship is valued at $2,000 per semester and will be renewed on a fall and spring semester basis for eight consecutive semesters (4 years), given that all Scholarship requirements are maintained. This is not an athletic scholarship, rather it is an academic scholarship awarded to a young lady who is interested in golf.
- Be a graduate of an accredited secondary school where she has shown evidence of academic excellence, good citizenship, sportsmanship and community involvement
- Be in need of financial assistance to pursue an undergraduate education in a college or university in the state of Alabama
- Have an interest in the game of golf
- Be a bona fide resident of the state of Alabama
- Fill out online application completely. Applications will be available 8:00AM, November 2nd – 5:00PM March 3rd.
- Include two (2) letters of recommendation from someone on your high school staff, a representative of the AGA, fellow church member, employer, or someone you are affiliated with through the game of golf
- A copy of your ACT scores must be submitted
- A copy of your high school transcript must be included
- Include a head shot photograph of yourself
- 2015 Tax Returns for primary guardians. Note: all Social Security numbers MUST be blacked out upon submission. All information will be kept strictly confidential by the AGA staff and scholarship committee
- The online application and all pertinent data, if scanned and emailed (email@example.com), must be submitted by 5:00PM March 3rd. If pertinent data is sent via U.S. mail, it must be received by 5:00PM March 3rd at the address shown below:
Alabama Golf Association
Attn: Adam Powell
1025 Montgomery Hwy
Birmingham, AL 35216
- Scholarship recipients must attend a four year Alabama college accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Scholarship recipients must be enrolled as a full time student carrying a class load of no less than twelve (12) hours per academic semester or quarter unless written permission is obtained from the AGAWSF prior to the commencement of the semester or quarter
- A Scholarship recipient may be single or married. If the recipient marries after being awarded the AGAWSF scholarship, her need for the scholarship will be reviewed by the AGAWSF Scholarship Committee. She will be required to fill out a form for married recipients
- Scholarship recipients must maintain a minimum of a C+ (2.4 out of 4 point) her freshman year and a B- (2.8 out of 4) thereafter
- Scholarship recipients must submit a copy of her grades to the Alabama Golf Association’s (AGA) Director of Women’s Golf immediately upon receipt of the same. This may be done by email, fax or mail. Prior to entering college, the recipient shall furnish the AGA’s Director of Women’s Golf the school she is attending, her student ID number, the contact person in the Financial Aid Office and their address as well as when the tuition is due. The recipient shall sign a release form in the Registrar’s office of the college enabling the AGAWSF Committee to receive reports on the recipient’s academic performance
- Scholarship recipients must submit any change in home address, telephone number, current school address, major and graduation date to the AGA Director of Women’s Golf. Any change in college choice, transfer or withdrawal must be reported immediately to the Director of Women’s Golf
- If a scholarship recipient is not going to graduate on time, a letter of explanation and a request for an extension must be send to the AGA Director of Women’s Golf. Extensions are not automatic and must be approved by the AGAWSF Committee
- Although it is not a requirement, scholarship recipients are asked to make every effort to speak at or participate in any AGA or AGAWSF event when invited
NOTE: Scholarships may be revoked if a recipient no longer has financial need or does not comply with the AGAWSF policies.
All submitted information will be kept strictly confidential by the AGA staff and scholarship committee.
Make a Contribution
The Scholarship Foundation is a 501(c)3 entity to assist deserving female golfers from Alabama in obtaining four years of higher education. If you would like to contribute to the Alabama Golf Association Women’s Scholarship Fund please mail your donations to the address below or Click Here to donate by credit card:
Alabama Golf Association
Attn: Adam Powell
P.O. Box 660149
Birmingham, AL 35266