2019 Alabama Women's State Amateur Champion, Michaela Morard
Union Grove, Ala. – Final results of the 87th Alabama Women’s State Amateur Championship and 1st Women’s State Senior Match Play Championship of the Alabama Golf Association hosted by Cherokee Ridge Country Club in Union Grove, Ala. on Friday, July 12, 2019.
The 87th Alabama Women’s State Amateur Championship concluded today with the final match play stages. The semi-finals of the championship division teed off at 7:30a.m. with Michaela Morard of Huntsville facing Allison Howard of Dothan, and Anna Claire Little of Auburn facing Ally Williams of Athens.
In the first semi-final Michaela Morard defeated Allison Howard 3 and 2 to make her way into the final. Morard won holes five, six, 11, and 15 to claim the victory.
The second semi-final match saw Anna Claire Little defeat Ally Williams 6 and 5. Little made two birdies during her match, including one on the 12th hole to book her ticket to the final.
In the consolation flight of the championship division Julie Baker of Hoover defeated Elisabeth Preus of Auburn, winning the first semi-final match 4 & 3. Annalee Stephens of Jasper defeated Chloe Borders of Jacksonville, 5 and 4 to secure a spot in the final.
In the tournament division, Kyung-Hwa Theodoss of Hampton Cove, Keri Rutledge of Birmingham, and Autumn Tidwell of Arab completed their 36 hole three-player match. Beginning the day at 9up against both Rutledge and Tidwell, Theodoss continued her fine play beating Rutledge 11 and 10 and Tidwell 8 and 7.
In the inaugural Women’s State Senior Match Play Championship, Nancy Schlich of Auburn grinded in the final match against Amanda Miller of Albertville to claim the title winning 1 up.
The final of the 87th Alabama Women’s State Amateur Championship teed off at 11:45p.m. with Michaela Morard facing Anna Claire Little. Morard won holes one, five, 12, 17, and 18 to defeat Little 2 up. She qualified for the match play as the overall one seed and took down seeds 16, eight, four, and 2 on her route to victory. This win makes her the current Alabama Women’s State Amateur Champion and Girls State Junior Champion.
In the final of the championship division consolation flight, Julie Baker defeated Annalee Stephens 3 and 2. She won holes one, two, four, eight, nine, 13, and 14.
RELATED: Match Play Bracket
Visit www.alabamagolf.org for live scoring and photographs from the final day.
This championship is conducted by the Alabama Golf Association.
(1) Michaela Morard, Huntsville, Ala. def. (4) Allison Howard, Dothan, Ala., 3 and 2
(2) Anna Claire Little, Auburn, Ala. def. (3) Ally Williams, Athens, Ala., 6 and 5
(1) Michaela Morard, Huntsville, Ala. def. (2) Anna Claire Little, Auburn, Ala., 2 up
(13) Julie Baker, Hoover, Ala. def. (9) Elisabeth Preus, Auburn, Ala., 4 and 3
(6) Annalee Stephens, Jasper, Ala. def. (15) Chloe Borders, Jacksonville, Ala., 5 and 4
(13) Julie Baker, Hoover, Ala. def. (6) Annalee Stephens, Jasper, Ala., 3 and 2
Championship Flight 1
(4) Anna Margaret Hays, Tuscumbia, Ala. def. (3) Mary Mac Trammell, Mountain Brook, Ala., 3 & 1
(2) Grace Narrell, Arab, Ala. def. (1) Gentry Scott, Jemison, Ala., 19 Holes
Championship Flight 2
(3) Ellie Cothran, Union Grove, Ala. def. (1) Emma Cox, Dothan, Ala., 4 and 3
(2) Marilyn Steed, Birmingham, Ala. def. (4) Reagan Malone, Arab, Ala., 4 and 3
Championship Flight 3
(1) Hannah Pope, Florence, Ala. def. (2) Stacy Quilling, Birmingham, Ala., 3 and 1
(3) Rosie Wiethop, Madison, Ala. def. (4) Lindsey Oxley, Helena, Ala., 2 and 1
Tournament Flight 1 (36 Hole 3-ball Match)
(1) Kyung-Hwa Theodoss, Hampton Cove, Ala. def. (3) Keri Rutledge, Birmingham, Ala., 11 and 10
(1) Kyung-Hwa Theodoss, Hampton Cove, Ala. def. (2) Autumn Tidwell, Arab, Ala., 8 and 7
(2) Autumn Tidwell, Arab, Ala. def. (3) Keri Rutledge, Birmingham, Ala., 3 and 2
(1) Kyung-Hwa Theodoss, Hampton Cove, Ala. wins the flight
Senior Match Play Final
(1) Nancy Schlich, Auburn, Ala. def. (3) Amanda Miller, Albertville, Ala., 1 up
Senior Match Play Consolation
(2) Theresa Stratton, , Ala. def. (4) Barbara Brown, Tuscaloosa, Ala., 20 holes
About the Alabama Golf Association (AGA)
The Alabama Golf Association is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational organization founded in 1915 whose mission is to serve and promote amateur golf in Alabama. AGA membership consists of over 130 member clubs represented by nearly 18,500 individuals. The activities and services of the Alabama Golf Association are governed by a Board of Directors consisting of Alabama golfers who wish to serve the game and the association through service.
AGA is the USGA's liaison for golf in Alabama conducting national championship qualifying, administering the USGA Handicap system including the GHIN Handicap service, course & slope rating and education. The AGA annually conducts 20 championships and team match competitions for men, women, juniors, and seniors. The AGA also conducts Alabama high school golf championships and assists with many collegiate events including the SEC Men's Golf Championship. In addition to competitions, the AGA administers the AGA Women's Scholarship Fund that is dedicated to assisting young female golfers in higher education and supports the Alabama Turfgrass Research Foundation.
Since 1980, the AGA has managed the affairs of the Southern Golf Association which includes conducting the Southern Amateur Championship and Southern Junior Championship, in conjunction with the Board of Directors of the Southern Golf Association.
For more information about the Alabama Golf Association, visit www.alabamagolf.org.