AGA Tournament Media & Communications Intern Interviewing a Tournament Contestant
TOURNAMENT MEDIA & COMMUNICATIONS INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
The Alabama Golf Association is offering one 5-month USGA P.J. Boatwright, Jr. Internship position focusing on Tournament Media & Communications designed to provide valuable hands-on experience to individuals who are interested in pursuing a career in golf administration, media, public relations or communications.
Late September 2018-February 2019. Start/end dates are flexible.
Qualified applicants will learn the internal operations of a State/Regional Golf Association. Some specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provide communications support for AGA championships and USGA qualifiers
- Assist with research, writing, fact checking, and proofing of content
- Assistance with on-site posting of content to web sites, photo galleries and social media sites (i.e. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Periscope, YouTube, SmugMug)
- Provide tournament coverage writing pre-event press releases, daily and post-tournament recaps
- Distribute results to local and national media
- Serve as staff photographer at championships and events
- Download and archive photographs on office server
- Provide video coverage and player interviews during tournaments
- Edit AGA and SGA association yearbooks
- Create post-championship season highlight video
- Assist with developing a media kit for prospective advertisers and sponsors
- Develop and implement marketing plan for AGA License Plate Campaign
- Assist with developing a Hole-in-One program
- Assist with general tournament/golf course preparation and breakdown
- Starting and scoring of players
- On-course rules officiating
- Assist tournament operations staff as needed
- Ability to live in the Birmingham, AL area during internship
- Preferred area of study or background in journalism, communications, or public relations
- Strong work ethic, communication skills and work in a team environment
- Excellent news writing and editing skills, with the ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Photography and photo editing experience a plus
- Willingness to travel and ability to work long hours including early mornings and weekends
- Up-to-date computer skills (i.e. Microsoft Word, Access, FrontPage) and the ability to effectively communicate on the phone, via e-mail and through various web site and social media outlets
- Golf background or strong interest in golf and basic knowledge of the Rules of Golf is a plus
- Have own transportation and valid driver’s license
- Must be an amateur golfer. PGM students are eligible. PGA professionals/apprentices are ineligible.
- Highly motivated and ability to work in fast paced environment
Salary and Compensation
$2,000 per month (medical and dental insurance available at additional cost)
All work related travel expenses will be paid by the association (meals, lodging, mileage)
Staff clothing (Polo Ralph Lauren).
Application Deadline and Resume Submission
Interested applicants please send cover letter, resume, and three references via email to Andy Priest, Executive Director, Alabama Golf Association to /Blog/256412/Job-Posting-5-Month-Tournament-Media-Communications-Media-Internship with “Tournament Media & Communications Internship” in subject line. Position is open until filled with qualified candidate.
The Alabama Golf Association is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Alabama Golf Association (AGA)
The Alabama Golf Association is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational organization founded in 1915 whose mission is to serve and promote amateur golf in Alabama. AGA membership consists of over 130 member clubs represented by nearly 18,500 individuals. The activities and services of the Alabama Golf Association are governed by a Board of Directors consisting of Alabama golfers who wish to serve the game and the association through service.
Based in Birmingham, the AGA is the USGA's liaison for golf in Alabama conducting national championship qualifying, administering the USGA Handicap system including the GHIN Handicap service, course & slope rating and education. The AGA annually conducts 13 championships and team match competitions for men, women, juniors, and seniors. The AGA also conducts Alabama high school golf championships and assists with many collegiate events including the SEC Men's Golf Championship. In addition to competitions, the AGA administers the AGA Women's Scholarship Fund that is dedicated to assisting young female golfers in higher education and supports the Alabama Turfgrass Research Foundation. In 2016, the AGA earned the Gold Tee Award for “Outstanding Tournament Operations – Small Association” by the International Association of Golf Administrators (IAGA).
For more information about the Alabama Golf Association, visit www.alabamagolf.org.