88th Alabama Women's State Amateur Champion Julie Baker (Left) and 2nd Alabama Women's State Senior Match Play Champion Susan West (Right)
HUNTSVILLE, AL (July 9, 2020) – Final results of the 88th Alabama Women’s State Amateur Championship and 2nd Alabama Women’s State Senior Match Play Championship of the Alabama Golf Association hosted by Huntsville Country Club in Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, July 9, 2020.
50 players across the state flourished this week, as 42 players advanced to the final day of the 88th Alabama Women’s State Amateur Championship and 2nd Alabama Women’s State Senior Match Play Championship, 38 players moving on to the final matches.
In the semifinals, seed 6 Preus pulled off an upset, defeating University of Tennessee’s Micheala Williams, standing seed 2, paving her path to the finals.
University of Southern Mississippi’s rising senior, Julie Baker, commanded a strong and steady finish defeating Troy University’s, Elisabeth Preus, 2 & 1. Baker’s consistent golf earned her way to becoming the 88th Alabama Women’s State Amateur Champion, claiming her first state title.
“It was neck and neck all day,” Baker said. “I knew that if I stayed consistent, hitting fairways and greens, it would help me win.”
Preus stood 1 up over Baker throughout the majority of the front nine, until the match shifted toward Baker’s favor on No. 14.
Kay Theodoss of Hampton Cove played an excited 36-hole match against Keri Rutledge to emerge victorious within the Tournament Division.
Susan West of Tuscaloosa raced Donna Lowen of Huntsville toward the finish line of the 2nd Alabama Women’s State Senior Match Play Championship. Breaking a tie with Lowen, West took the lead in the match with a par on No. 12. Her birdie on No. 17 secured her victory, 3 & 1.
Women’s State Amateur - Championship Semifinals
(1) Julie Baker, Hoover def. (12) Allison Howard, Newton, 3 & 2
(6) Elisabeth Preus, Auburn def. (2) Micheala Williams, Brownsboro, 6 & 4
Women’s State Amateur – Championship Finals
(1) Julie Baker, Hoover def. (6) Elisabeth Preus, Auburn, 2 & 1
Women’s State Amateur – Tournament Division Finals
(1) Kay Theodoss, Hampton Cove leads (2) Keri Rutledge, Birmingham, 8 & 6
Women’s State Amateur – Consolation Semifinals
(4) Morgan Jones, Auburn def. (8) Sophie Burks, Tallassee, 4 & 2
(6) Linda Jeffery, Prattville def. (7) Emma Pittman, Pike Road, 4 & 2
Women’s State Amateur – Flight 1 Finals
(1) Sarah Utley, Owens Cross Roads def. (2) Taylor Trible, Birmingham, 2 up
Women’s State Amateur – Flight 1 Consolation Finals
(4) Caroline Waldrop, Birmingham def. (3) Marilyn Steed, Birmingham, 4 & 2
Women’s State Amateur – Flight 2 Finals
(1) MK Horton, Birmingham def. (3) Emily Lankford, Huntsville, 7 & 5
Women’s State Amateur – Flight 2 Consolations Finals
(2) Zoe Walker, Vinemont def. (4) MacKinley Baird, Birmingham, 7 & 5
Women’s State Amateur – Flight 3 Finals
(1) Lauren Gilchrist, Spanish Fort def. (2) Anna Margaret Hays, Tuscumbia, 4 & 2
Women’s State Amateur – Flight 3 Consolation Finals
(3) Ruby Narrell, Union Grove def. (4) Raina Choi, Huntsville, 4 & 3
Women’s State Amateur – Flight 4 Finals
(2) Lindsey Oxley, Helena def. (1) Stacy Quilling, Birmingham, 5 & 4
Women’s State Amateur – Flight 4 Consolation Finals
(4) Hayley Morris, McCalla def. (3) Bella Duesing, Huntsville, 2 & 1
Senior Championship – Finals
(2) Susan West, Tuscaloosa def. (1) Donna Lowen, Huntsville, 3 & 1
Senior Championship – Consolation Finals
(3) Nancy Schlich, Auburn def. (4) Theresa Stratton, Opelika, 2 & 1
Senior Championship – Flight 1 Finals
(1) Theresa Mahlik, Madison def. (2) Ann Lanier, Fairhope, 5 & 4
Senior Championship – Flight 1 Consolation Finals
(3) Tami Green, Fairhope def. (4) Barbee Bryant, 7 & 5
Senior Championship – Flight 2 Finals
(4) Amanda Miller, Albertville def. (2) Dina Murray, Chelsea, 2 up
Senior Championship – Flight 2 Consolation Finals
(1) Candy Mitchell, Springville def. (3) Jennie Steuer, Madison, 4 & 3
Senior Championship – Flight 3 Finals
(2) Lisa Jones, Guntersville def. (4) Lynn Glover, Birmingham, 1 up
Senior Championship – Flight 3 Consolation Finals
(1) Toni Aila, Ozark def. Jane McGriff, Birmingham, 6 & 5
About the Alabama Golf Association (AGA)
The Alabama Golf Association is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational organization founded in 1915 whose mission is to serve and promote amateur golf in Alabama. AGA membership consists of over 115 member clubs represented by nearly 19,000 individuals. The activities and services of the Alabama Golf Association are governed by a Board of Directors consisting of Alabama golfers who wish to serve the game and the association through service.
AGA is the USGA's liaison for golf in Alabama conducting national championship qualifying, administering the USGA Handicap system including the GHIN Handicap service, course & slope rating and education. The AGA annually conducts 23 championships and team match competitions for men, women, juniors, and seniors. The AGA also conducts Alabama high school golf championships and assists with many collegiate events including the SEC Men's Golf Championship. In addition to competitions, the AGA administers the AGA Women's Scholarship Fund that is dedicated to assisting young female golfers in higher education and supports the Alabama Turfgrass Research Foundation.
Since 1980, the AGA has managed the affairs of the Southern Golf Association which includes conducting the Southern Amateur Championship and Southern Junior Championship, in conjunction with the Board of Directors of the Southern Golf Association.
For more information about the Alabama Golf Association, visit www.alabamagolf.org.