Hoover Country Club, Hoover, AL
HOOVER, AL (Sept. 16, 2021) – The Alabama Golf Association’s 33rd Alabama State Mid-Amateur Championship will be held at Hoover Country Club, in Hoover, AL, from Sept. 17-19, 2021. A field of 144 players will compete for the chance to take home the championship title.
This year marks the thirty-third playing of the Alabama State Mid-Amateur Championship and the second time Hoover Country Club has hosted. The defending champion, Robby Prater of Birmingham, won the Alabama State Mid-Amateur title in 2020, at the Montgomery Country Club. The inaugural Championship was played in 1989 with Emile Vaughn claiming the title.
Entries are open to any male amateur golfer who is a legal resident of Alabama, has an active GHIN® USGA Handicap Index® at an AGA member club that does not exceed 8.4 and is 25 years of age as of September 17, 2021.
Yardage: 6908 yards
Course & Slope Rating: 73.7/139
● Championship field size is 132 players.
● Exempt players are accepted at time of entry. Exempt players are accepted at time of registration (See “Exemptions” on page 3). Non-exempt players will be accepted after close of entries to fill the championship field. If the championship field is oversubscribed, the field will be determined by player ranking, past performance and Handicap Index as of September 7, 2021. Players not gaining entry will be placed on the alternate wait list. Wait list alternates are ranked in the same way as the field. The AGA reserves the right to conduct a sectional qualifying round to determine the final field and alternate order.
● 54 holes of gross individual stroke play.
● The field will be cut to the low 60 players and ties after 36 holes.
● The lowest score for 54 holes will be the Champion.
● In the event of a tie for the Championship, a hole-by-hole playoff will be held immediately following play. The playoff holes and their order of play will be determined by the Committee.
● Initial groupings will be for two days; the field will be cut and repaired by score after the second round.
Thursday, September 16, 2021
All Day: Practice rounds.
9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.: Player Registration in the Clubhouse Foyer adjacent to the golf shop.
Friday, September 17, 2021
Round 1: Tee times at 7:30 a.m. & 12:30 p.m. off #1 & #10 tees.
Saturday, September 18, 2021
Round 2: Tee times at 7:30 a.m. & 12:30 p.m. off #1 & #10 tees.
Cut to low 60 scores and ties.
Field regrouped according to score.
Sunday, September 19, 2021
Round 3: Tee times at 7:30 a.m. off #1 & #10 tees.
Awards ceremony immediately following play at the scoreboard.
About the Alabama Golf Association (AGA)
The Alabama Golf Association is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit educational organization founded in 1915 whose mission is to serve and promote amateur golf in Alabama. AGA membership consists of over 115 member clubs represented by over 22,000 individuals. The activities and services of the Alabama Golf Association are governed by a Board of Directors consisting of Alabama golfers who wish to serve the game and the association through service.
AGA is the USGA's liaison for golf in Alabama conducting national championship qualifying, administering the USGA Handicap system including the GHIN Handicap service, course & slope rating and education. The AGA annually conducts 23 championships and team match competitions for men, women, juniors, and seniors. The AGA also conducts Alabama high school golf championships and assists with many collegiate events including the SEC Men's Golf Championship. In addition to competitions, the AGA administers the AGA Women's Scholarship Fund that is dedicated to assisting young female golfers in higher education and supports the Alabama Turfgrass Research Foundation.
Since 1980, the AGA has managed the affairs of the Southern Golf Association which includes conducting the Southern Amateur Championship and Southern Junior Championship, in conjunction with the Board of Directors of the Southern Golf Association.
For more information about the Alabama Golf Association, visit www.alabamagolf.org.
Director of Media, Marketing & Communications
Alabama Golf Association